Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun campaign has 4 senses
- political campaign, campaign, run - a race between candidates for elective office; "I managed his campaign for governor"; "he is raising money for a Senate run"
--1 is a kind of race
--1 has particulars:
- campaign, cause, crusade, drive, movement, effort - a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end; "he supported populist campaigns"; "they worked in the cause of world peace"; "the team was ready for a drive toward the pennant"; "the movement to end slavery"; "contributed to the war effort"
--2 is a kind of venture
--2 has particulars:
| ||advertising campaign, ad campaign, ad blitz; anti-war movement; consumerism; campaigning, candidacy, candidature, electioneering, political campaign; ecumenical movement; fund-raising campaign, fund-raising drive, fund-raising effort; feminist movement, feminism, women's liberation movement, women's lib; gay liberation movement, gay lib; lost cause; reform; war; youth movement, youth crusade|
- campaign, military campaign - several related operations aimed at achieving a particular goal (usually within geographical and temporal constraints)
--3 is a kind of operation, military operation
--3 has particulars:
- campaign, hunting expedition, safari - an overland journey by hunters (especially in Africa)
--4 is a kind of expedition
Verb campaign has 3 senses
- campaign, run - run, stand, or compete for an office or a position; "Who's running for treasurer this year?"
--1 is one way to race, run
Somebody ----s PP
- crusade, fight, press, campaign, push, agitate - exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for; "The liberal party pushed for reforms"; "She is crusading for women's rights"; "The Dean is pushing for his favorite candidate"
--2 is one way to advertise, advertize, promote, push
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody
- campaign, take the field - go on a campaign; go off to war
Somebody ----s PP