Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun tension has 6 senses
- latent hostility, tension - feelings of hostility that are not manifest; "he could sense her latent hostility to him"; "the diplomats' first concern was to reduce international tensions"
--1 is a kind of hostility, enmity, antagonism
- tension, tenseness, stress - (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense; "he suffered from fatigue and emotional tension"; "stress is a vasoconstrictor"
--2 is a kind of strain, mental strain, nervous strain; vasoconstrictor, vasoconstrictive
--2 has particulars: yips; breaking point
- tension, tensity, tenseness, tautness - the physical condition of being stretched or strained; "it places great tension on the leg muscles"; "he could feel the tenseness of her body"
--3 is a kind of condition, status
--3 has particulars: tonicity, tonus, tone
- tension - a balance between and interplay of opposing elements or tendencies (especially in art or literature); "there is a tension created between narrative time and movie time"; "there is a tension between these approaches to understanding history"
--4 is a kind of balance
- tension - (physics) a stress that produces an elongation of an elastic physical body; "the direction of maximum tension moves asymptotically toward the direction of the shear"
--5 is a kind of stress
- tension - the action of stretching something tight; "tension holds the belt in the pulleys"
--6 is a kind of stretching