Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun remains has 2 senses
- remains - any object that is left unused or still extant; "I threw out the remains of my dinner"
--1 is a kind of object, physical object
--1 has particulars: archeological remains; fossil
- cadaver, corpse, stiff, clay, remains - the dead body of a human being
--2 is a kind of body, dead body
--2 has particulars: cremains
Verb remain has 4 senses
- stay, remain, rest - stay the same; remain in a certain state; "The dress remained wet after repeated attempts to dry it"; "rest assured"; "stay alone"; "He remained unmoved by her tears"; "The bad weather continued for another week"
--1 is one way to be
John will remain angry
- stay, stay on, continue, remain - continue in a place, position, or situation; "After graduation, she stayed on in Cambridge as a student adviser"; "Stay with me, please"; "despite student protests, he remained Dean for another year"; "She continued as deputy mayor for another year"
--2 is one way to be
Somebody ----s PP
- remain - be left; of persons, questions, problems, results, evidence, etc.; "There remains the question of who pulled the trigger"; "Carter remains the only President in recent history under whose Presidency the U.S. did not fight a war"
--3 is one way to be
- persist, remain, stay - stay behind; "The smell stayed in the room"; "The hostility remained long after they made up"
Something is ----ing PP