Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective preventive has 3 senses
- preventive, preventative, prophylactic - preventing or contributing to the prevention of disease; "preventive medicine"; "vaccines are prophylactic"; "a prophylactic drug"
Antonym: unhealthful (indirect, via healthful)
- preventive, preventative - tending to prevent or hinder
Antonyms: permissive, admitting of, allowing of, permitting of, bailable
- cautionary, preventive, prophylactic - tending to ward off; "the swastika...a very ancient prophylactic symbol occurring among all peoples"- Victor Schultze
Antonym: unprotective (indirect, via protective)
Noun preventive has 3 senses
- preventive, preventative, prophylactic - remedy that prevents or slows the course of an illness or disease; "the doctor recommended several preventatives"
--1 is a kind of remedy, curative, cure
- hindrance, hitch, preventive, preventative, encumbrance, incumbrance, interference - any obstruction that impedes or is burdensome
--2 is a kind of obstruction, obstructor, obstructer, impediment, impedimenta
--2 has particulars: clog; speed bump
- contraceptive, preventive, preventative, contraceptive device, prophylactic device, birth control device - an agent or device intended to prevent conception
--3 is a kind of device
--3 has particulars:
| ||cervical cap; coil; condom, rubber, safety, safe, prophylactic; diaphragm, pessary, contraceptive diaphragm; intrauterine device, IUD; morning-after pill; pill, birth control pill, contraceptive pill, oral contraceptive pill, oral contraceptive, anovulatory drug, anovulant; spermicide, spermatocide|