Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun pickup has 9 senses
- pickup, pickup truck - a light truck with an open body and low sides and a tailboard
--1 is a kind of truck, motortruck
--1 has particulars: technical
- pickup - a warrant to take someone into custody; "put out a pickup on that man"
--2 is a kind of bench warrant, arrest warrant
- pickup, pick-me-up - anything with restorative powers; "she needed the pickup that coffee always gave her"
--3 is a kind of corrective, restorative
- pickup - a casual acquaintance; often made in hope of sexual relationships
--4 is a kind of acquaintance, friend
- pickup, getaway - the attribute of being capable of rapid acceleration; "his car has a lot of pickup"
--5 is a kind of acceleration
- tone arm, pickup, pickup arm - mechanical device consisting of a light balanced arm that carries the cartridge
--6 is a kind of mechanical device
--6 is a part of record player, phonograph
- cartridge, pickup - an electro-acoustic transducer that is the part of the arm of a record player that holds the needle and that is removable
--7 is a kind of electro-acoustic transducer
--7 is a part of record player, phonograph
--7 has parts: stylus
--7 has particulars: crystal pickup
- pickup - the act or process of picking up or collecting from various places; "garbage pickup is on Mondays and Thursdays"
--8 is a kind of collection, collecting, assembling, aggregation
--8 has particulars:
- pickup - the act of taking aboard passengers or freight
--9 is a kind of acquiring, getting
--9 is a part of transportation, transfer, transferral, conveyance