Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun inclination has 8 senses
- inclination, disposition, tendency - an attitude of mind especially one that favors one alternative over others; "he had an inclination to give up too easily"; "a tendency to be too strict"
--1 is a kind of attitude, mental attitude
--1 has particulars:
| ||direction; drift, trend, movement; Call; denominationalism; devices; sympathy, understanding; favoritism, favouritism; proclivity, propensity, leaning; bent, set; literalism; perseveration; predisposition; favor, favour; disfavor, disfavour, dislike, disapproval; partiality, partisanship; impartiality, nonpartisanship|
- inclination, inclination of an orbit - (astronomy) the angle between the plane of the orbit and the plane of the ecliptic stated in degrees
--2 is a kind of angle
- inclination, angle of inclination - (geometry) the angle formed by the x-axis and a given line (measured counterclockwise from the positive half of the x-axis)
--3 is a kind of angle
- dip, angle of dip, magnetic dip, magnetic inclination, inclination - (physics) the angle that a magnetic needle makes with the plane of the horizon
--4 is a kind of angle
- inclination - that toward which you are inclined to feel a liking; "her inclination is for classical music"
--5 is a kind of liking
--5 has particulars: leaning, propensity, tendency; stomach; undertow
- tilt, list, inclination, lean, leaning - the property possessed by a line or surface that departs from the vertical; "the tower had a pronounced tilt"; "the ship developed a list to starboard"; "he walked with a heavy inclination to the right"
--6 is a kind of position, spatial relation
- tendency, inclination - a characteristic likelihood of or natural disposition toward a certain condition or character or effect; "the alkaline inclination of the local waters"; "fabric with a tendency to shrink"
--7 is a kind of disposition
--7 has particulars: electronegativity, negativity; stainability; desire
- inclination, inclining - the act of inclining; bending forward; "an inclination of his head indicated his agreement"
--8 is a kind of motion, movement, move, motility
--8 has particulars: bob; nod; stoop