Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun impulse has 6 senses
- urge, impulse - an instinctive motive; "profound religious impulses"
--1 is a kind of motivation, motive, need
--1 has particulars:
- caprice, impulse, whim - a sudden desire; "he bought it on an impulse"
--2 is a kind of desire
- nerve impulse, impulse - the electrical discharge that travels along a nerve fiber; "they demonstrated the transmission of impulses from the cortex to the hypothalamus"
--3 is a kind of electrical discharge
--3 has particulars: action potential
- pulsation, pulsing, pulse, impulse - (electronics) a sharp transient wave in the normal electrical state (or a series of such transients); "the pulsations seemed to be coming from a star"
--4 is a kind of wave, undulation
- impulse, impulsion, impetus - the act of applying force suddenly; "the impulse knocked him over"
--5 is a kind of drive, thrust, driving force
- momentum, impulse - an impelling force or strength; "the car's momentum carried it off the road"
--6 is a kind of force, forcefulness, strength