Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective important has 5 senses
- important, of import - of great significance or value; "important people"; "the important questions of the day"
Antonyms: unimportant, fiddling, footling, lilliputian, little, Mickey Mouse, niggling, piddling, piffling, petty, picayune, trivial, immaterial, indifferent, lightweight, nickel-and-dime, small-time, potty, inconsequent, inconsequential
- significant, important - important in effect or meaning; "a significant change in tax laws"; "a significant change in the Constitution"; "a significant contribution"; "significant details"; "statistically significant"
- crucial, important - of extreme importance; vital to the resolution of a crisis; "a crucial moment in his career"; "a crucial election"; "a crucial issue for women"
- authoritative, important - having authority or ascendancy or influence; "an important official"; "the captain's authoritative manner"
Antonym: uninfluential (indirect, via influential)
- important - having or suggesting a consciousness of high position; "recited the decree with an important air"; "took long important strides in the direction of his office"
Antonym: modest (indirect, via immodest)