Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun growth has 7 senses
- growth, growing, maturation, development, ontogeny, ontogenesis - (biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically; a purely biological unfolding of events involved in an organism changing gradually from a simple to a more complex level; "he proposed an indicator of osseous development in children"
--1 is a kind of organic process, biological process
--1 has parts: gastrulation
--1 has particulars:
| ||culture; amelogenesis; angiogenesis; apposition; auxesis; blossoming, flowering, florescence, inflorescence, anthesis, efflorescence; cenogenesis, kenogenesis, caenogenesis, cainogenesis, kainogenesis; cohesion; cytogenesis, cytogeny; foliation, leafing; fructification; gametogenesis; germination, sprouting; infructescence; intussusception; juvenescence; life cycle; masculinization, masculinisation, virilization, virilisation; morphogenesis; myelinization, myelinisation; neurogenesis; palingenesis, recapitulation; proliferation; psychomotor development; psychosexual development; rooting; suppression; teething, dentition, odontiasis; teratogenesis; vegetation|
- growth - a progression from simpler to more complex forms; "the growth of culture"
--2 is a kind of development, evolution
- increase, increment, growth - a process of becoming larger or longer or more numerous or more important; "the increase in unemployment"; "the growth of population"
--3 is a kind of process
--3 has particulars:
- growth - vegetation that has grown; "a growth of trees"; "the only growth was some salt grass"
--4 is a kind of vegetation, flora
- emergence, outgrowth, growth - the gradual beginning or coming forth; "figurines presage the emergence of sculpture in Greece"
--5 is a kind of beginning
--5 has particulars: rise
- growth - (pathology) an abnormal proliferation of tissue (as in a tumor)
--6 is a kind of illness, unwellness, malady, sickness
--6 has particulars:
- growth - something grown or growing; "a growth of hair"
--7 is a kind of object, physical object
--7 has particulars: ingrowth