Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun death has 8 senses
- death, decease - the event of dying or departure from life; "her death came as a terrible shock"; "upon your decease the capital will pass to your grandchildren"
--1 is a kind of change, alteration, modification
Antonyms: birth, nativity, nascency, nascence
--1 has particulars:
- death - the permanent end of all life functions in an organism or part of an organism; "the animal died a painful death"
--2 is a kind of organic phenomenon
--2 has particulars:
- death, last - the time at which life ends; continuing until dead; "she stayed until his death"; "a struggle to the last"
--3 is a kind of end, ending
- Death - the personification of death; "Death walked the streets of the plague-bound city"
--4 is a kind of imaginary being, imaginary creature
--4 has particulars: Grim Reaper, Reaper
- death - the absence of life or state of being dead; "he seemed more content in death than he had ever been in life"
--5 is a kind of state
--5 has particulars:
- death, dying, demise - the time when something ends; "it was the death of all his plans"; "a dying of old hopes"
--6 is a kind of end, ending
--6 is a part of life, lifetime, lifespan
--6 has particulars: grave
- death - the act of killing; "he had two deaths on his conscience"
--7 is a kind of killing, kill, putting to death
- end, destruction, death - a final state; "he came to a bad end"; "the so-called glorious experiment came to an inglorious end"
--8 is a kind of state