Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun confidence has 5 senses
- assurance, self-assurance, confidence, self-confidence, authority, sureness - freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities; "his assurance in his superiority did not make him popular"; "after that failure he lost his confidence"; "she spoke with authority"
--1 is a kind of certainty
- confidence - a feeling of trust (in someone or something); "I have confidence in our team"; "confidence is always borrowed, never owned"
--2 is a kind of security
Antonyms: diffidence, self-doubt, self-distrust
- confidence - a state of confident hopefulness that events will be favorable; "public confidence in the economy"
--3 is a kind of hopefulness
- confidence, trust - a trustful relationship; "he took me into his confidence"; "he betrayed their trust"
--4 is a kind of friendship, friendly relationship
- confidence - a secret that is confided or entrusted to another; "everyone trusted him with their confidences"; "the priest could not reveal her confidences"
--5 is a kind of secret