Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective cold has 13 senses
- cold - used of physical coldness; having a low or inadequate temperature or feeling a sensation of coldness or having been made cold by e.g. ice or refrigeration; "a cold climate"; "a cold room"; "dinner has gotten cold"; "cold fingers"; "if you are cold, turn up the heat"; "a cold beer"
Antonyms: hot, baking, baking hot, blistering, blistery, burning, calefacient, warming, calefactory, calefactive, heating, calorifacient, calorific, heated, heated up, het, het up, hottish, red-hot, sizzling, stifling, sulfurous, sulphurous, sweltering, sweltry, thermal, torrid, sultry, tropical, tropic, white, white-hot, fervent, fervid, fiery, igneous, heatable, overheated, scorching
- cold - extended meanings; especially of psychological coldness; without human warmth or emotion; "a cold unfriendly nod"; "a cold and unaffectionate person"; "a cold impersonal manner"; "cold logic"; "the concert left me cold"
Antonyms: hot, fiery, flaming, heated, red-hot, sizzling, sensual, sultry, torrid, white-hot
- cold - having lost freshness through passage of time; "a cold trail"; "dogs attempting to catch a cold scent"
Antonym: fresh (indirect, via stale)
- cold - (color) giving no sensation of warmth; "a cold bluish gray"
Antonym: warm (indirect, via cool)
- cold - marked by errorless familiarity; "had her lines cold before rehearsals started"
Antonym: imperfect (indirect, via perfect)
- cold, stale - no longer new; uninteresting; "cold (or stale) news"
Antonym: new (indirect, via old)
- cold - so intense as to be almost uncontrollable; "cold fury gripped him"
Antonym: mild (indirect, via intense)
- cold, frigid - sexually unresponsive; "was cold to his advances"; "a frigid woman"
Antonym: loving (indirect, via unloving)
- cold, cold-blooded, inhuman, insensate - without compunction or human feeling; "in cold blood"; "cold-blooded killing"; "insensate destruction"
Antonym: humane (indirect, via inhumane)
- cold - feeling or showing no enthusiasm; "a cold audience"; "a cold response to the new play"
Antonym: enthusiastic (indirect, via unenthusiastic)
- cold - unconscious from a blow or shock or intoxication; "the boxer was out cold"; "pass out cold"
Antonym: conscious (indirect, via unconscious)
- cold - of a seeker; far from the object sought
Antonyms: near, close (indirect, via far)
- cold - lacking the warmth of life; "cold in his grave"
Antonym: alive (indirect, via dead)