Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun balk has 4 senses
- balk, baulk - the area on a billiard table behind the balkline; "a player with ball in hand must play from the balk"
--1 is a kind of area, expanse, surface area
--1 is a part of pool table, billiard table, snooker table
- hindrance, deterrent, impediment, balk, baulk, check, handicap - something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress
--2 is a kind of difficulty
--2 has particulars:
- rafter, balk, baulk - one of several parallel sloping beams that support a roof
--3 is a kind of beam
- balk - an illegal pitching motion while runners are on base
--4 is a kind of pitch, delivery
Verb balk has 1 sense
- resist, balk, baulk, jib - refuse to comply
--1 is one way to disobey
Somebody ----s PP