Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun addition has 6 senses
- addition, add-on, improver - a component that is added to something to improve it; "the addition of a bathroom was a major improvement"; "the addition of cinammon improved the flavor"
--1 is a kind of component, constituent, element
--1 has particulars:
- addition - the act of adding one thing to another; "the addition of flowers created a pleasing effect"; "the addition of a leap day every four years"
--2 is a kind of increase, step-up
Antonyms: subtraction, deduction
--2 has particulars: retrofit; fluoridation, fluoridization, fluoridisation
- addition, increase, gain - a quantity that is added; "there was an addition to property taxes this year"; "they recorded the cattle's gain in weight over a period of weeks"
--3 is a kind of indefinite quantity
--3 has particulars: accretion
- accession, addition - something added to what you already have; "the librarian shelved the new accessions"; "he was a new addition to the staff"
--4 is a kind of acquisition
- addition - a suburban area laid out in streets and lots for a future residential area
--5 is a kind of suburb, suburbia, suburban area
- summation, addition, plus - the arithmetic operation of summing; calculating the sum of two or more numbers; "the summation of four and three gives seven"; "four plus three equals seven"
--6 is a kind of arithmetic operation